Republic Philosophy of Teaching & Learning
Our teaching approach stems its roots from Socratic Method of teaching known as the “Method of Elenchus”. This dialectical method focuses on learner’s ambition to learn and to raise queries in order to reach to the truth. Blended with modern progressive learning medium, our student-centered experiential mode of education focuses on learning by doing, and through observing and reflecting upon the practical implications of theoretical knowledge. Educational Progressivism lies at the heart of our teaching and learning philosophy which sets us apart from the common educational institutions that follow the didactic method of teaching predominantly where the student is a passive learner.
The Socratic Dialectical Method of Teaching (Elenchus)
Method of elenchus is the Socratic form of dialogue that subsumes a series of questions to clarify a more precise statement. This method encourages a learner to raise queries and actively participate in the learning value proposition. Asking questions to reach a consensus and initiatives to debate upon dis-agreement between learner and teacher are integral aspects of this method. The dialectic method supports the idea of a debate and discourages one-sided learning process where one listens and one speaks.
Student-Centered Pedagogy Dialectical vs. Teacher-Centered Didactic
A brief comparison is presented for students and parents to understand some generic pros and cons of the two dominant methods in the world of academia. We acknowledge that both methods are effective depending on the assignment and nature of the learning objectives. Hence, a blended approach shall be opted to ensure that students actively learn and yet no important aspect of the learning discipline and process is neglected.
Students learn to communicate and acquire the much-needed communication skills.
Students rely on self-learning and peer- learning.
Students are active participants in the learning process which improves the effectiveness of the knowledge transfer mechanism.
Students through self-learning develop leadership attributes.
This method also instills confidence building aspects which further helps the student be expressive and assertive.
Classrooms are generally noisy in such environments due to debate and queries.
Teachers face the challenge to manage all students’ activities, which can be difficult when students are working on different stages of the same project.
Due to the conversational nature of the method, some important aspects and lessons might be missed out by various students depending on their learning abilities.
For learners with an introvert personality, this method is not the most enjoyable method.
This method ensures disciplined teaching experience.
Students learn to follow and rely on direction from the teacher.
Students learn on their own, they learn independence and make their own decisions.
The learning process involves active participation and direction of only the tutor or teacher, hence the possibility of students missing out on any important topics is minimized.
This method relies on students working independently. Hence, students do not learn to collaborate but compete primarily.
The teacher-centered method is not the most enjoyable learning experience for extrovert learners who prefer to learn actively and not passively.
The teacher-centered method does not foster the environment to develop confidence and leadership abilities amongst the learners.
Educational Progressivism Experiential Education & Experiential learning
At Republic University College, Experiential education forms the bases of our teaching mechanisms. It is a philosophy of education that describes the process that occurs between a teacher and student that infuses the direct experience with the learning environment and content. The term is not interchangeable with experiential learning; however experiential learning is a sub-field and operates under the methodologies of experiential education. Experiential education informed Educational progressivism which is our core learning philosophy.
Educational progressivism takes its foundation characteristics from the Experiential Educational system which takes its foundation attributes from Socratic Dialectic Method. Educational progressivism focuses on the learner’s active participation and involvement. In brief, Educational Progressivism has following attributes which are dominant in Republic University College’s teaching philosophy;
- Emphasis on learning by doing – hands-on projects.
- Industry oriented and integrated thematic courses.
- Integration of entrepreneurial aspects into education providing an environment that encourages creativity, innovation, and leadership.
- Strong emphasis on problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities to be instilled in the learners.
- Focus on group projects and development of social skills.
- Focus on Collaborative and team leadership, team management skills.
- Highly personalized learning accounting for each individual’s personal goals.
- Integration of community service and service learning projects into the daily curriculum to instill social responsibility into the student’s conscious learning.
- Selection of curriculum based on future trends and needs of the industry and modern world of work.
- De-emphasis on textbooks in favor of varied learning resources.
- Emphasis on lifelong learning and social skills.
- Maximum utility of guest lecturers, resource people, and industry acclaimed subject matter experts
- Focus on student’s employability and professional development and not only on curriculum understanding and learning.
- Ensuring that student remains the primary stakeholder in the value proposition and remains the most important aspect of the whole learning process. Thus ensuring a high level of student involvement, satisfaction, and ultimately better learning results.